Vancouver Mandarin Chinese Temporary Residence Lawyer

Vancouver Mandarin Chinese Temporary Residence Lawyer

Vancouver Mandarin Chinese Temporary Residence Lawyer Featured Image

Do you or one of your loved ones need a Temporary Resident Visa to achieve your goals here in Canada?

If so, reach out to our law office. We are experienced immigration lawyers who speak fluent Mandarin Chinese. You or your loved ones can get immigration help in the language you’re most comfortable speaking. 

Getting a TRV is by no means easy or guaranteed. Reach out to our office to make sure that you are able to come to Canada as you hope to. 

What is a Temporary Residence Visa? 

A Temporary Visa allows you to either visit Canada, work here, or study here. It must be obtained before you come to Canada, and shown to border officials when you arrive. 

Types of Temporary Residence Visas

There are several types of TRVs.

Work Permits

This TRV lets you come to Canada for a temporary job, such as a job in agriculture. You must generally have a job offer before the permit will be granted. You will need a written letter that includes the job title, description, requirements, start and end dates, salary, and the name and address of the employer.

Canada Service Agency (CSA) verifies that the job offer is real and that the employer has followed the law in regards to offering a position to foreign workers. 

Study Permits

To receive a study permit, you must be accepted into a designated learning institution, or DLI. Most major universities in Vancouver qualify as DLIs. 

This permit allows you to stay in Canada for the entire course of study, plus an extra 90 days. That 90 days can allow you to look for work, extend your stay, or prepare to return home. 

It is possible to leave Canada while pursuing a course of study, but you should consult with your immigration lawyer before doing so. There are requirements you’ll need to meet before you can be allowed back inside the country. Many students find it safer to remain within Canada for their entire program. 

Visitor’s Visas

Visitor’s visas allow you to stay in Canada for up to six months. Anyone who is not from a visa-exempt country will need one. China is not a visa exempt country. Nationals from Hong Kong may visit Canada if they have the Canadian eTA, the Electronic Travel Authorization. 

Super Visas

A super visa is a multiple entry visa designed for the parents and grandparents of Canadian citizens or permanent residents. 

In order to receive a super visa, you must provide a letter of invitation from your child or grandchild that promises financial support for you whenever you are staying in Canada, support that will last for the duration of your entire stay. Your children or grandchildren must have sufficient income to back that promise. You’ll also have to provide proof that a parent or grandparent relationship exists. 

You’ll need temporary health insurance from a Canadian insurance company as well. You must secure it for a minimum of one year, and it must provide up to $100,000 of coverage. It will need to be valid for each entry into Canada. 

The super visa is good for a period of ten years, and allows the holder to stay in Canada up to two years each time that they enter. 

Eligibility Requirements for Temporary Resident Visas

To receive a TRV you must be able to convince immigration officials that you will return to your home country—or, at least, leave Canada—at the end of your authorized stay.

You also must:

  • Show you have enough money to provide for yourself and your family members while in Canada, and to return home at the end of your authorized stay.
  • Show you will not try to work or study in Canada unless you have been authorized to do so.
  • Have a clean criminal record.
  • Show that you are not a security risk to Canada.
  • Be in good health, which may mean completing a medical exam. 

Yet people who meet these eligibility requirements get refused all the time.

Common reasons for TRV refusal include:

  • No travel history.
  • Too many strong family ties in Canada.
  • The purpose of your visit is unclear.
  • History of going out-of-status on previous visas, and/or previous deportations.
  • Illegal status in your country of residence.

Some of these don’t always seem very fair. For example, it can be frustrating to have your family ties held against you if you’re traveling to see those family members. In the end it all boils down to the same thing: whether or not CIC believes you intend to return home at the end of your stay.

Working with an immigration lawyer is the best way to overcome these barriers. We can help you prepare your initial paperwork and get you ready for your visa interview so that officials have no reason to doubt you. 

Refusals may be appealed. If you’re already working with our firm we can help you file and manage that appeal quickly, and may be able to get you into Canada despite initial resistance. There are advantages to having us on your case from Day 1. Call to make an appointment today. 


Are dual-purpose TRVs permissible? 

Dual intent can be tricky. It is legally allowed, but you must handle your application carefully. Often, applying for dual intent can leave immigration officers suspicious that you intend to leave Canada prior to the end of your authorized visit. Dual intent is not, in and of itself, grounds for refusal, yet it can often make acceptance that much harder.

On the other hand, if you do not declare that you may have a desire to alter your status if possible then when you do find yourself meeting permanent residency conditions and attempt to adjust your status you could be accused of misrepresenting yourself on your TRV application.

Your best bet? If you’re coming to Canada on a TRV because you hope to network with employers or apply for jobs, or know that at the end of your course of study you may wish to apply with Canadian employers, then alert your immigration lawyer. We can help ensure that your application does not create roadblocks in the future. 

Can I get a TRV if I was previously granted PR status?

You may still be a permanent resident (PR) and thus ineligible for a TRV. You may instead need a Travel Document for a Permanent Resident Abroad. You can voluntarily renounce this status if you intend to give it up or know that you have failed to meet your residency obligations, and then apply for a TRV instead.

Do family members have to apply for a TRV separately?

Yes. Every family member must complete their own forms. They can all be submitted as once and pay a single amount for the entire application package, however. 

Who needs a medical exam?

Most temporary residents who intend to stay for six months or more in a row will need a medical exam. 

There are also certain countries that have been deemed to be health risks. If you’ve been to any of those nations up to one year before coming to Canada, then you may be required to pass a medical exam no matter how long you’ve been there.  

Finally, you will need a medical exam if you intend to work in the health care field, or if you intend to work with children. 

Who can travel to Canada without a TRV?

Anyone from a visa exempt nation may travel to Canada without a TRV. 

If flying, even individuals from visa-exempt nations will require an Electronic Travel Authorization prior to boarding your flight. If traveling over land, a visa-exempt person may simply enter the nation as long as they stay for no longer than six months. 

Can you renew a TRV?

Most people who want to come back to Canada for future visits will have to apply for a new TRV.

Students who attempt to travel home for the holidays can renew a TRV as long as their study permit is valid, but doing so does pose a risk. We strongly recommend discussing your plans with our office before buying any tickets or leaving the country. 

Get Help Today

TRVs may be temporary, but they are not simple.

Make sure you consult with our office before attempting to apply for one, especially if you think you may wish to return to Canada in the future, or apply for permanent residency at any point. 

Our team has helped thousands of Chinese nationals gain authorization to pursue their employment or study aspirations here in our great nation. We are responsive, dedicated, and ready to help.

Don’t apply for that visa until you’ve contacted us. Call now to schedule an appointment. We are happy to meet with you over the phone or over the Internet if necessary. 

Chinese Lawyer Vancouver serves clients in Vancouver, Abbotsford, Langley, Surrey, and White Rock. Call to set up an appointment today.

Get In Touch

We really appreciate you taking the time to get in touch. Please fill in the form.

6337 198 St Suite 101/B, Langley, BC V2Y 1A7, Canada

Contact a lawyer now

Our Other Locations

Copyright © 2024 Mandarin Chinese Divorce Lawyers Vancouver, All rights reserved.

95 FF3, App Street Avenue
NSW 96209, Canada

Opening Hours:

Mon – Fri: 8:00 am – 6:00 pm

City News & Updates

The latest Egovt news, articles, and resources, sent straight to your inbox every month.

[mc4wp_form id="228"]

Please note: The information provided on this website is Not Legal Advice. The information may or may not be accurate. The information is for discussion purposes only. Reliance upon any information provided would not be grounds to advance a claim against Chinese Lawyer Vancouver for providing any advice. In order to get a formal legal opinion upon which you may rely about any specific fact scenario, you would have to first retain the services of a lawyer and request a formal legal opinion.